The Church of God (Seventh Day) believes that…
- the Bible is the dependable and authoritative Word of God. No other writing is of such divine origin or is necessary for Christian faith and practice.
- God the Father is the almighty Creator and loving Provider, eternal King and Judge of the universe.
- Jesus Christ, the preexistent Son of God, is the Savior, Lord, and eternal Redeemer of all who truly believe.
- the Holy Spirit is the presence of God in believers—convicting, converting, teaching truth, prompting obedience, bearing fruit, distributing gifts, and empowering witness.
- humans are sinners by birth and by choice. Because our first parents disobeyed, sin and death follow on us all. We also have sinned in thought, word, deed, and in omission.
- Salvation is the forgiveness of sins and the gift of eternal life. It originates in God’s grace, is achieved by the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ, and is personally received by faith.
- saving faith includes repentance, which activates obedience and good works through love—all produced by the Holy Spirit within. The regenerate Christian is obedient to the terms of the gospel, to the words of Christ, and to the enduring law of God summarized in the Ten Commandments. All the commandments remain as standards of holiness, including observance of the seventh-day Sabbath.
- all people who have trusted Christ unto obedience are members of the spiritual body, the church of God. The mission of the church is to proclaim the gospel, introduce others to the Lord, teach them to obey His Word, and nurture spiritual growth in all believers.
- Jesus Christ instituted two ordinances for the church that confirm faith in Him: baptism by immersion and the Lord’s Supper, accompanied by footwashing.
- Jesus Christ shall return from heaven at the end of this age. The dead shall be raised from their sleep in the grave, and all humans shall be judged according to their works. The righteous shall be changed to immortality to live forever with the Lord; the wicked shall be completely consumed in the lake of fire. There shall be a new heaven and a new earth as the home of the redeemed for all eternity.
Our fellowship and service
As servants of Christ, we believe and practice…
- local church attendance that provides warm and lasting friendship with fellow Christians.
- opportunities for worship, preaching, and Bible study that strengthen the Church in living for Christ.
- wholesome social and recreational activities, with emphasis on the family.
- educational instruction for children and youth.
- national and international association through conventions, district conferences, and summer youth camps in several places.
- financial stewardship on the personal and organizational level.
- member participation in the ministry and polity of the Church, through the exercise of personal gifts and talents.
We believe that Christ is the head of the church. Therefore, we will exalt the Lord Jesus Christ to the highest in our worship, teaching, preaching, and ministry. He is the author of our salvation and the focus of our faith. Scripture says putting Him at the center of all we do pleases the Father.
Distinct, not exclusive
We believe that the kingdom of God extends beyond our denomination, that we are only a small part of the body of Christ, and that we have a legitimate place within, and responsibility to, the rest of the Christian community.
We believe that being fully Christ-centered and worshipping on the Sabbath are not in conflict. The Sabbath has never been more relevant than it is in today's world, filled with tired people.
We desire to be a church with increasing passion to experience the fullness of the Holy Spirit, expressed in the way we live and do ministry, individually and corporately.
We believe that Bible-based teaching and preaching honor God and edify people and that our ministry should reflect the highest commitment to integrity of interpretation of biblical truth and its application.
Passionate in worship
We believe that worship is a primary means by which we express our love for the Lord and that it should be a priority of the Church. Spiritual passion in worshipping the Lord agrees with Scripture and demonstrates our deepening relationship with Him.
Compassionate in service
We believe that genuine love for the Lord will be transformed into ministry to others. Reaching out to the world through compassionate service honors the Lord and points people to Him.
Aggressive in witness
We believe that lost people matter to God, that the Church has a mandate to evangelize, that each member has a role in that process, and that world conditions call us to be aggressive about winning the lost.
Strong in fellowship
We believe that a strong commitment to Christ calls us to a strong commitment to His body. Building up the Church through fellowship and through understanding, developing, and exercising our spiritual gifts is important.
Committed to discipleship
We believe that the goal of faith is to be conformed to the image of Christ, which happens best through the process of mentoring and discipleship. A healthy church is the result of the healthy spiritual development of individual believers.